---

---

Thursday, April 16, 2009

WOMEN IN FILM


Several years ago... before Youtube and 24 hour film festivals... I directed my first short film. I had been editing music videos and commercials up to that point, so knew very little about the short film market, how to submit to film festivals and all of that. I read somewhere that the WIF was having a "Short Film" discussion, complete with industry experts at their next meeting. When I realized the WIF was "Women In Film" I hesitated, but then decided to call and ask if I... being a guy... could go there. Looking back, a rather brave thing to do I think, but off I went.

I remember learning quite a bit about short films, AND that being in a room full of strong, motivated women is... interesting:) There was a group dynamic I had not experienced, they were talking about men, and men in the business with such openness... I felt at one point they were going to see me huddled in the corner and attack! It was all in good fun, and the short film I directed (Shooting Star) went on to screen at Sundance and all over the world!

ANYWAY, this is how I came to know WIF, and felt any woman in film would find it a great resource. Check it out...
Women In Film

- Scott Young
Commercial Success/ Shoot a Scene. Edit Your Reel

No comments:

Post a Comment